Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Spring Series #3 Brae Burn Country Club


I didn't drop a line about this tourney last week, my game wasn't that good...but I still feel obligated to at least say something, because it was in general a great experience. Although my game sucked, it is always special to play a course that has tremendous history... there is something different about it, almost like golf is put behind the whole history of the place. Brae Burn was one of those places, just outside of Boston, built in 1897 and redesigned by Donald Ross in 1912. Walter Hagen won the 1919 US Open and Bobby Jones the 1928 US Amateur... Just to walk the same grounds as those figures is special, its like if you were able to trot onto the field at the old Yankee Stadium or Fenway. Something you just take for granted. So the course was great, in perfect shape and pretty challenging, especially if you don't know where to put the ball off the tee. Overall my game really wasn't that bad... I started off bogey, birdie (naturally)... then made a double after only being able to advance my ball 4 feet out of the regular rough with a Pitching Wedge (down in a hole), bogeyed a par 5 after that and made two bogies to finish up the front to shoot +5-40... went Birdie-Bogey-Bogey-Birdie to start the back... so I pissed away 2 good holes... made some pars and then finished bogey-bogey-par to shoot 79. I was beat down, 2 hour drive into Boston traffic, up at 4:30am, first round in 90 degree weather, walking the course... I was literally beat down. I was kinda proud I didn't shoot in the 80's, but still not too happy. I did score 25 points and lead our bball team to the Championship after that though! I gtg to work now!

Look forward to playing another historical sight on Thursday with my father and uncle.... "The Country Club" Brookline baby!

No comments: